Hi! I'm Caitlin, wife of James and mama of Maxwell. I am a proud USCG wife, former ballerina, photographer, and retail manager. Being a working mom isn't easy, and this blog gets {seriously} neglected now and then {most of the time}, but I keep up with it when I can.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Why is it that everyone (who isn't a friend of mine) I meet is shocked at the fact that we might only have one baby?  It's not totally decided yet, but we really want to play it by ear and see how this one goes before we decide if we'll have two.  Everyone either tells me "he'll NEED a sibling or he'll be spoiled!" or "but you'll want one of each!".  Okay, first of all, he won't NEED a sibling.  I think that James and I can do a good enough job parenting him that he won't be a spoiled, rotton kid.  I know plenty of people that are only children that are not spoiled and I know plenty of people that have lots of brothers and sister who are spoiled.  Secondly, one of each is not guaranteed!  There is a chance that we could have another boy, and if we do decide to have a second baby at some point, it won't be because we need to have a little girl.  I'm not saying that wouldn't be nice, but I'm not going to have a baby with the purpose of having a specific gender.  We would be happy either way.  I just think it's sad that people look at having only one baby as a negative thing when we see it as doing the responsible thing, wanting to provide as much as we can for our child and make sure that he doesn't get cheated because we really don't have the means to have a second baby.  People just make me wonder sometimes.

1 comment: