Hi! I'm Caitlin, wife of James and mama of Maxwell. I am a proud USCG wife, former ballerina, photographer, and retail manager. Being a working mom isn't easy, and this blog gets {seriously} neglected now and then {most of the time}, but I keep up with it when I can.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

{DIY} Mint denim

So when you have a baby and/or are breastfeeding, clearly, most of your clothes don't fit you anymore or fit you much differently than they did before.  Thankfully, I've been lucky enough to fit into a good bit of my wardrobe, pretty much right out of the hospital.  However, pants are one thing that REALLY don't fit the same (or just plain don't fit at all).  I tried on every pair of pants I own and only maybe 4 pairs out of probably 30 actually fit and all 4 of those are jeans.  The other problem is not knowing how much my body is going to change over the next year or so...will I lose more weight, will my hips stay wider than they were, will my bra size go back down after I'm done breastfeeding?  There's no way to know what size I'm going to wear.  Since I don't know, I don't want to spend a fortune on a new wardrobe just yet.  But, I do need some clothes in the meantime because I refuse to don yoga pants and tank tops every day until I fit into my clothes again.

Hence...DIY!  I've never really done any clothing before, so this is a first.  I was DYING (no pun intended) to get a pair of mint colored jeans and I scoured the web for weeks trying to find a cute/affordable pair but couldn't find any that were in stock in my size for under $60 (+ shipping).  But then I stumbled upon this DIY tutorial using plain old white jeans and RIT dye.  I didn't use her exact instructions, but it got the wheels turning in my head.  So the next morning I went to Marshall's and found a pair of white skinny jeans for $14.99 and went to Michael's and purchased RIT dye (1 box each of kelly green and teal) for the project, costing me a grand total of UNDER $20!  Sweet!

Now for my tutorial:  
1. Fill up washing machine with HOT water.
2. Add 1 box of Teal dye and 1/2 box of Kelly Green dye (again, I used RIT).
3. Test color combination on a piece of white scrap fabric.
4. Submerge white jeans into mixture.
5. Let jeans soak for about 3 mins and then check the color, check every minute after that until desired color is reached (I let mine soak for 6 minutes).
6. Empty washer of dye mixture.
7. Wash jeans on a normal cycle.
8. Dry jeans to set color.

The finished result:


No comments:

Post a Comment