Hi! I'm Caitlin, wife of James and mama of Maxwell. I am a proud USCG wife, former ballerina, photographer, and retail manager. Being a working mom isn't easy, and this blog gets {seriously} neglected now and then {most of the time}, but I keep up with it when I can.

Monday, July 14, 2014

Our First Home


Now that we're moved and settled in Virginia, I thought I'd do a quick post about our new home!  James and I decided that since this was the closest we were ever going to get to moving "home", we would purchase a house instead of renting for the next 4 years.  Obviously buying when you're a military family is a gamble, but this was probably the best situation we were going to get.  We're only about 45 mins from our parents, so this increases our options when PCS 2018 is here.  If we decide to try and sell, if we can't sell right away, I can always stay behind for awhile since we are close to family.  And if we keep the house and rent it (probably what we're leaning toward at this point), we have family nearby to keep an eye on the house.

The process of choosing the house was relatively easy, much easier than I thought.  I came to VA in early spring to look at 3 houses and chose the last one we saw.  We put an offer in the next week and we were under contract by the following week!  

Our loan process, however, was a little more complicated.  Because I work, our lender needed proof that I was transferring within my company, but my company didn't want to give me documentation of a transfer until I had actually transferred.  So, it took us over a month to get all of this info, and had to delay closing by a week.  All in all, compared to some, it probably wasn't hugely complicated, but it sure felt that way when we were trying to deal with it all from NJ when we were both still working full time!

It's all behind us now though, and we are officially moved in and mostly settled.  I've started back to work in my new store and James is going back to work this week.  I don't think he's particularly excited about having to be at work at 5am every day for the next 4 years though =(

No comments:

Post a Comment