Hi! I'm Caitlin, wife of James and mama of Maxwell. I am a proud USCG wife, former ballerina, photographer, and retail manager. Being a working mom isn't easy, and this blog gets {seriously} neglected now and then {most of the time}, but I keep up with it when I can.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Amazing read.

I'm currently reading this book, Origins, by Annie Murphy Paul, and it is fantastically interesting so far.  It's all about how our 9 months in the womb have great impact on the person we become.  For example, there's been some research that points to undernutrition in the womb as a determining factor in us developing heart problems later in life!  Why would that result in heart disease later?

"One explanation is that fetuses are making the best of a bad job.  When nutrients are scarce, they divert nutrients towards the really critical organ---the brain---and away from other organs, like the heart and liver.  This keeps the fetus alive in the short term, but the bill comes due later in life, when the heart, deprived early on, becomes more vulnerable to disease." - Dr. David Barker

I've just started reading the book, but it's so fascinating!  I can't wait to read more!



3 comments:

  1. I had a dream last night that you were pregnant... Here's hoping it was right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I seriously hope you were right too!!!

    ReplyDelete